College of Medicine Student Code of Ethics
COLLEGE OF MEDICINE STUDENT CODE OF ETHICS
As we learn and, subsequently, practice the art and science of medicine, we pledge to:
- Do no harm to our patients.
- Put the welfare of our patients above our own self- interest and any consideration of financial gain.
- Be respectful of the wishes of our patients, consistent with our obligation to “do good”.
- Treat our patients with great respect and compassion, without regard to gender, age, race, ethnicity, religion, or sexual orientation.
- Maintain the highest standard of honesty and integrity.
- Be fiscally responsible in our professional and personal lives.
- Be just and impartial in allocation of scarce health care resources, but to always advocate first for the rights of our patients.
- Be consistently attentive to the need to protect the privacy of our patients and to maintain their personal health information in the strictest confidence.
- Maintain a commitment to life-long learning.
- Share knowledge freely with patients and colleagues.
- Maintain the proper balance between our personal and professional lives and nurture our spiritual, emotional, and physical well- being so that we may better care for our patients and loved ones.
- Conduct ourselves with grace and humility.
- Act always in a way that brings honor to ourselves and our profession.
PD (August 2011)