As we learn and, subsequently, practice the art and science of medicine, we pledge to:
- Do no harm to our patients.
- Put the welfare of our patients above our own self-interest and any consideration of financial gain.
- Be respectful of the wishes of our patients consistent with our obligation to do good.
- Maintain the highest standard of honesty and integrity.
- Treat all people with respect, dignity, impartiality, empathy and compassion.
- Foster a just and supportive community.
- Strive to eliminate social barriers to health, health disparities and inequality within our profession.
- Acknowledge and minimize our implicit and explicit biases as we relate to others.
- Be just and impartial in allocation of scarce health care resources but always advocate first for the rights of our patients.
- Be consistently attentive to the need to protect the privacy of our patients and to maintain their personal health information in the strictest confidence.
- Share our knowledge freely with patients and colleagues.
- Maintain balance between our personal and professional lives and nurture our spiritual, emotional, and physical well-being to better care for our patients and loved ones.
- Maintain a commitment to life-long learning.
- Be fiscally aware and responsible.
- Conduct ourselves with grace and humility.
- Act always in a way that brings honor to ourselves and our profession.
1This Medical Student Code of Ethics (“Code”) is an aspirational pledge. Students are not required to pledge or recite the Code for participation in the University’s College of Medicine Program.