Grade Grievance Process

Medical students may appeal a final grade or evaluation based on concerns about discrimination or the process used to assign the grade. The process is as follows:

1. The student submits one’s written concern(s) regarding discrimination or process used to assign a final grade or evaluation and arranges a meeting to discuss the concern(s) with the respective course/clerkship director within one (1) month of the posting of that grade.  In the event that the complaint involves the course/clerkship director, the written concern should be submitted to the Associate Dean for Medical Education for dissemination to a faculty member or grading committee familiar with the course/clerkship who is not affiliated with the grievance.

If the student is not satisfied with the outcome:

2. The student may submit their written explanation of the grievance within two (2) weeks from receipt of initial outcome, to the Associate Dean for Medical Education who will assemble the Grade Grievance Committee. The Grade Grievance Committee will consist of the Chair of the Course/Clerkship Committee, or designee if it involves the student’s course/clerkship, and three faculty familiar with the medical education program who are not involved in the same course/clerkship as the grievance, or are members of the ASC.  A 4th year medical student from the ASC will serve as a non-voting member on the Grade Grievance Committee.  The faculty members of the Grade Grievance Committee are appointed by the Associate Dean of Medical Education.

3. After review, the Grade Grievance Committee will submit a recommendation to the Associate Dean for Medical Education and the Chair of the Academic Status Committee who will review the report and provide the response to the student.

4. The decision of the Associate Dean for Medical Education and the Chair of the Academic Status Committee is final.

Grade grievances aligns with UF policy (UF Regulation 4.012). Additional information can be located,

The UF Office of the Ombudsman is another resource for students with a university related problem and/or concern.  For additional information about the Office, see